Saturday, December 19, 2009

What are YOU waiting for?

I know this is not a new concept (is there such thing as a new concept anymore?  Glass half full - yes there must be!), but while on my own journey of self-discovery and personal enlightenment, I have found this phrase has been key to my success thus far. 

What are you waiting for?

Although few would view my current economic and living situation as "success", I definitely do!  I may not be at the goal destination yet, but getting off my ass and making the changes that led me here was definitely a step in the right direction. 

In a nutshell, I hated my living situation; it wasn't good for my daughter or me, so I decided to quit whining about it and DO SOMETHING.  I stopped waiting for circumstances to be "right", and just took (careful, thoughtful, planned-out) action.  Granted, where I've landed is not quite what I anticipated, but you can't control everything.  I've simply touched down on a stepping stone. 

I've also applied this mindset to... well, just about everything in my life.  I stopped making excuses and started running and lifting weights again, quit poisoning myself with alcohol and tobacco (for the most part), and have made leaps and bounds of progress in how I view the world, the people around me, and myself.   I stopped waiting for other people to be who I wanted them to be, and instead changed my thinking to try to see things from their point of view.  I stopped trying to make myself into who I thought they wanted me to be, and instead I focus on being happy with myself.  It's tough sometimes, but the payoff is huge.  I've never felt better physically, emotionally and mentally.  My relationships are stronger, more in-depth, and more appreciated.

I stopped waiting for things to happen.  Instead I make things happen. 

Change your mind, change your life.

2 comments:

  1. teach me friend. because im not managing this very well AT ALL... :( xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Given the circumstances, I think you are doing an excellent job. Love you!

    ReplyDelete