Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Get Over it Already!

So lately I've been thinking a lot about the woman who abused my trust and put my daughter in a situation that could have killed her.  Maybe because this woman recently walked into my place of work and the mere sight of her caused me to practically have a panic attack, I don't know.  Maybe.

Anyway.  I've had a really hard time getting over the whole situation.  I can't talk about it without crying, I no longer trust my kids with anyone but family and oh maybe three friends, I still have nightmares and trouble falling asleep if it happens to cross my mind at night, things like that.  I have vivid daytime visions of car accidents while I'm driving....I've even contemplated giving up driving here and there (not seriously, but yes it has crossed my mind).  You could say I was a bit traumatized - even more so than my daughter (which I am thankful for - I NEVER want her to feel these things I'm feeling). 

I've decided to take the advice of one of my best friends and focus on the GOOD that came from the situation, instead of dwelling on the bad.  Now, this has proven to be extremely difficult for me, but I'm giving it the old college try.  I'm going to start here, by making a list of all the good things that have happened as a direct result of the car accident caused by the drunk daycare provider that miraculously did NOT kill or seriously injure my daughter or anyone else.  Here we go....in no particular order.

1.  I get to stay home with my baby.
2.  I have more time to focus on school.
3.  I have more time for myself (when I'm not chasing my three-year-old, anyway)
4.  I have more time to focus on cooking/writing/art/music/etc.
5.  I no longer work at a job I hate.
6.  I no longer commute two hours a day.
7.  I get to spend more time with my darling stepson (who just this very second told me that in life, every second counts, so make it a good second.  Smart kid!)

That's what I've got for now.  I'm trying really hard to focus on these things and move past the anger towards forgiveness.  I honestly think if forgiveness happens, it will be a miracle, but I'm going to try to get there anyway.  I can't keep carrying this around for the rest of my life.

Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. This is a good idea. I mean I cant even imagine what you went through, but a lot of positive did come out of it. I think your baby girl just had someone watching over her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot even begin to try and understand the terror you must have felt that day. It is a true miracle no one was hurt and a very big INJUSTICE that lady is not is prison! I have given up on the legal system long ago and hope to never have any run ins with it. I am a strong believer that things happen to teach us something, that they happen for some reason, most of the time unknown to us. But you will have peace someday. You may never forgive her, but you will no longer be angry. Keep focusing on the positives, but do allow yourself to cry when needed, that helps heal too. Big hugs to you and your family for having to go through that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your insight Ruth, God has great plans for you and your family :)Melissa Dyk

    ReplyDelete